Friday, April 9, 2010

Salty

I've been thinking about salt all afternoon. In fact, I think about salt alot. Not directly - though it's always there in my subconscious. Like, really there, everpresent. It dictates my meal choices. And whether or not I say yes to a movie. It all started with a friend of mine responding to some helpful critism with "Thanks for rubbing salt on my wound." To which I said "Salt is one of the earths greatest healing properties." She found this oddly soothing. Which got me googling salt. I found this: Salt has healing properties. It kills most germs on contact. It burns when it hits a raw spot, but is very effective in cleansing a wound so it can heal. "Don't rub salt in my wounds", is a statement often heard when a person is hurt from good advice. I also found this: What is a salty person? Life always adds new meanings, and flavor to words. It has its extremes and what it accepts as a norm.


"Don't ever go fishin" with that fellow ... he is too salty." When the group thinned out I asked one of the old timers what it meant to be too salty. That means a person who takes too many risks while fishing in the ocean. (The Colonial was known for fishing in the white water of the surf in his boat.) It is very dangerous because if the boat falters just a moment it will be swamped, turned over, and that brings danger of drowning. People who are willing to take such risks are called "salty".



I had a NY summer romance when I was still living in Brooklyn. His name was Charlie. He was really cute and he gave me a pink balloon he found on the street 'a la' summer city street style, to match my pink pants. He kept saying "You're sweet." To which I'd reply "I'm not sweet, I'm salty!" Then he'd correct himself and be like ok, ok! you're salty! I was really adamant about it - like, don't confuse me with sweet! If there is one thing that I know about myself, it's that I'm salty. salty, salty, salt of the earth. And I wouldn't change it for the world.

No comments: