Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Puppy Daniels

It is starting to warm up here in the big apple and let me tell you that is a miracle it feels like winter has been going on FOR EV ER! Why are us city people such bigger whimps to the elements? I'm writing songs. I'll be recording next week in a studio, as well as meeting with a couple bands to see which one will be mine. I am so ready. I'm one of those idiots that goes to see a band and makes faces at how mediocre the vocal sounds through the mic or how little to no stage presence the singer has and then i'm like 'whoa, snap out of it! go do your thing girl! stop screw facing the ones who are!'(inner dialogue)
I've also come to the obvious realization that the only guys I am truly interested in are either famous or hugely successful - so what good would it do me to be a fan without fans? It's so easy for me to attain fans, it's just in my nature, so it would make sense that I would go on ahead and do that instead of being a groupie - which just never suited me. I'm saying this in most realistic of ways - by no means am I tooting my own horn - believe me, I've been a fan (New Kids anyone?? Rachel Ray anyone? 15 years later? Thank you - aint' no shame!) I've also had them - and it's because when I go up there, I radiate the love of my family and natural joie de vivre to the audience. They love me because I love
being up there and I truly appreciate every second of it - I bring that energy to the people, so in a way, they're not even a fan of me, but a fan of the feelings that are evoked.
I listen to the cheesiest music when I am alone. Mostly 80s but alot of 70s and 90s too. Christopher Cross. Doris Day. Gloria Estefan. Jon Secada. Enya. When I lived in Lima they had a radio station called 'Musica que Tracende' - Music that transports you. Played exactly what I wanted - Old Madonna, Peabo Bryson. Pretty killer. A friend of mine recently refreshed me with some Aimee Mann - Voices Carry - I cannot get enough of that song now that I actually understand the words!! I used to think it said "Oh oh, keep it downtown, plus it's scary" or something along those lines. Now I know that it's "Hush hush, keep it down now, VOICES CARRY." I am bedazzled. As a vocalist I have one of those voices that naturally projects. That week, before hearing the song, a few of my friends said Hey Sarah, I can always hear you before I see you! Which is somewhat embarrasing to me since I always feel I am at regular volume. As my Dad used to say "We're right here - we're right here!" Voice Carry indeed. But the song is also about a guy trying to subdue the girls nature - telling her to 'keep it down' but also telling her to keep her feelings inside. I think the whole point is that we can only be who we are and the changes that we make must be within reason. We all have to follow our hearts if we want to be happy.
In many ways, the easiest way for everyone to be happy would be to just do as I say and follow my instructions as closely as possible so we don't encounter any problems here.Sometimes I read these little psychoanalysis blurbs about how children are damaged by their parents bullying and demanding. I'm like ' what about the parents being damaged by the child?' I was a pretty intense child. I knew what I wanted well before 2.

No comments: